Women’s Super League: Manchester City 3-3 Chelsea


WSL title favourites Man City and Chelsea play out a six-goal thriller

Manchester City and Chelsea played out a thrilling 3-3 draw at The Academy Stadium to leave the Women’s Super League title race wide open.

The Citizens are one point above Chelsea at the top of the table heading into the final six rounds of fixtures, although Emma Hayes’ side still have a game in hand.

City twice led an end-to-end contest, only to then find themselves 3-2 down to a sensational 30-yard strike from England forward Beth England – moments after Georgia Stanway had missed a penalty for the hosts.

But Lauren Hemp poked beyond Chelsea goalkeeper Ann-Katrin Berger to rescue a point for Manchester City in their final match before the SheBelieves Cup.

England will be playing in the invitational four-team tournament in the United States, where they will face the USA, Japan and Spain.

However, Lionesses manager Phil Neville will be concerned about the fitness of City goalkeeper Ellie Roebuck, who was carried off the field of play deep into second-half stoppage time with what looked a serious ankle injury.

The top-flight season is due to resume on 22 March.

Top two produce great advert for WSL

Georgia Stanway scored the 2,000th goal in WSL history – but then missed a penalty 10 minutes later

Although matches between title rivals can often develop into tight, cagey affairs, this contest was anything but.

After England had missed a glorious early chance from inside the six-yard box, Ellen White tapped the home side in front following Janine Beckie’s low cross.

Ji So-yun’s deflected volley then made it 1-1, before Stanway’s thumping near-post shot – after she had feinted to shape her body to curl the ball into the far corner – restored Manchester City’s advantage.

But Chelsea, who have not lost in the WSL since January 2019, turned the game on its head when Magdalena Eriksson nodded in from close range and England picked out the top corner from distance.

In between those two goals, Stanway had squandered a golden opportunity to put City in front for the third time in the match when Berger kept her spot-kick out after Sophie Ingle’s foul on Caroline Weir.

The Citizens, however, had the very final say when Hemp guided Weir’s clever reverse pass into the corner to make it 3-3.


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *